Monday 13 June 2011

Flowers

Today I've mainly been focusing on flowers to use on a few of my designs including hair clips, brooches etc. I've used two different methods to create flowers.

Method 1, The easy, less fiddly one
This basically involves a lot of ribbon and a needle and thread. I used smaller pieces of ribbon in similar colours so I could graduate the colour of the petals. I actually got the ribbon pieces as an absolute bargain from the pound shop.


I used a running stitch along the edge of the ribbon.

When I had done all the running stitch in all the ribbon I could then pull the thread to ruffle the ribbon.

Once all the ribbon was done and ruffled then I could shape the flower in the position desired and sew it together at the back.

Method 2, Involves a lot more precision
I read about this method on a few other blogs and decided to try it out. Firstly I needed 6 larger squares of material and 4 slightly smaller squares.

With the squares of fabric I then cut each separate pile into a circle shape.

Once that was done I could then cut petal shapes into the fabric. Don't follow my idiocy and not use a pattern.

Once the flower shapes are cut the smaller pile can then be placed on top of the other. I then mixed up the sequence of the petals to make it more like a flower.

A stitch was then put in the middle to hold the pile together. Squeezing and shaping the back of the flower shaped pile then added a more realistic shape to the overall flower. this could then be stitched into place.

Then the flower is complete and could be added to a hair clip or whatever takes your fancy.



No comments:

Post a Comment