Monday 9 April 2012

Resin Jewellery making

A few week ago now I went to a resin jewellery class ran by Addison at Freak Carousel. It was a fantastic class that ran over 2 weeks. Addison was very enthusiastic and informative about her resin making; she obviously loves what she does. The first 2 hour class covered the basics of making the resin mix, colouring it, forming in moulds and adding details. Most things can be set in jewellery from paper designs, metal work and even personal items like baby teeth etc. I actually couldn't wait to return the next week to turn out my designs. The second class covered finishing our jewellery and involved a lot of drilling holes to make into necklaces and gluing on brooch backs or rings. Here's what I ended up making in the class:


                                         
 I think this one is my favourite one, even if it is slightly wonky. Addison was full of advice for getting things like this right next time, like doing a small layer of resin first before adding the pattern or paper.



 One of the girls at the class came well prepared with hundreds ad thousands which look amazing when put into resin.

All in all it was a fantastic class which I would recommend to anyone interested in jewellery making or doing something a little bit different with your Tuesday nights. There's another workshop planned for the end of April with one in Glasgow and one in Aberdeen. The Freak Carousel Facebook page is the best way to keep up to date with new classes happening in your area. The prices are £35 per person or £60 for 2 people. The last class was full so definitely book well in advance.

Since I have been inspired to buy all the kit for resin making and am currently working on some designs, I've already have a couple of achievements and disasters which I will post about soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment